When I was in high school, I couldn’t wait to go to college. No, it wasn’t because I was bullied or anything. I liked the people there, my grades were pretty good too but I just couldn’t wait to start my life. Start a plan, start exploring, traveling and maybe even a bit of partying.
and then, BAM! Yes, this is exactly how I felt after a few weeks into College life. Some pointers others have for you when you’re a freshman are:
- Don’t procrastinate.
- Try to stay a few weeks ahead of the course.
- Attend classes regularly.
- Participate in extra-curricular activities and volunteer.
- Be Active. Go to events and socialize.
I followed these pointers in the first semester after which I got so bloody tired of it all that I went into hibernation. I’m still hibernating in my cave of denial and ignorance.
Basically, college life is harder than you imagined. No one gives a crap about what you’re doing; you could be stuck in a hole and the first person to find you would be a drunk frat boy who fell into the ditch. No matter how many friends you have, you’re all adults now. You have busy lives and no one wants to spend time strengthening friendships or saving friends from awkward situations. Teachers don’t care what you do. I know this sucks. The least they could do is criticize me so that I get annoyed and then try to prove myself to them, in process getting a better grade. A few things that helped me with my self-esteem and might help you too are:
- Everyone procrastinates, don’t feel bad about yourself. Get things done whenever you want, you have all the time in the world.
- Make sure you don’t get more than 4 weeks behind in the course.
- Skip classes if you think you can do better at home in your jammies. I prefer self learning which is why the last time I attended classes regularly was… IDK.
- Binge-watch movies/tv shows. Learn some computer skills. These come in more handy than knowing how to throw a ball.
- Be friendly, not judgmental. Don’t pressurize yourself into making friends just to fit in. Be yourself! Unless you’re Batman. Then always be BATMAN. 😉
These tips are meant to make yourself feel better, which in the end is more important than grades. If you feel good about yourself, then you’ll automatically be willing to work harder. College is an EASY F. But you know what, a great bat once said
“Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up…” – Batman
Love, love and lots of love,